This familiar face is a staple out-to-lunch order. Learn to make it in your own kitchen and surprise your family with a welcome new skill. This chicken biryani recipe comes with a twist - the chicken is minced, Deep South style, spreading its flavour and texture throughout the rice. You’ve just got to try it.
- Parboil the rice and lentils separately, strain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the whole garam masalas till you can smell them.
- Add the ginger/garlic paste and onions, and and fry till the onions are brown.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, a splash of water and fry.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry till it is thick.
- Add the mince meat and fry till it is cooked and dry.
- Add fresh coriander and stir.
- Layer the lentil and then the rice over the meat, pour ghee, saffron and rose water.
- Place a few lemon slices inside, sprinkle fried onions, mint and fresh coriander.
- Put a green chilli on top, cover the pan and place it in a medium pre- heated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with raita.
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 4-5 green cardamoms (pods crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp aniseed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 ½ cups Double Deer basmati rice (soaked for 30 minutes)
- ½ cup flat green lentil (soaked for 30 minutes)
- 2 cups minced chicken
- 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ tbsp ginger/garlic paste
- 4 medium sized tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 green chilli
- Handful of chopped coriander and mint leaves
- A few slices of lemon
- A pinch of saffron (soaked in milk)
- 1 tbsp rose water
Get regular recipes!
Connect with us on Facebook and get the first peek into our lip-smacking recipes!