Kashmiri Vegetable Biryani
This biryani with its flavourful combination of ingredients is rich and filling, while being light and flavoursome. Delicious, mild and wholesome, it is a wonderful festival dish. Like all Kashmiri food, it is highly aromatic and just a whiff is sure to get your taste buds going.
- Drain the soaked rice.
- Boil the 7 cups of water and then add the rice.
- Cook the rice till it is about 3/4th done and drain it.
- Sprinkle some saffron on the rice, cover and keep aside.
- In a pan heat the oil and fry the whole spices until its starts to smell.
- Add the chopped vegetables and sauté for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the dry spice powders, sauté for 2 minutes and keep stirring.
- Add the yoghurt and stir, add water and salt.
- Cover the pan and cook till the vegetables are done.
- Preheat the oven to 180 or 190 degrees C.
- Grease the baking dish with oil or ghee.
- Make a layer of rice at the base and sprinkle some of the chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle some of the saffron dissolved in milk and layer with the vegetable curry.
- Sprinkle the mint, coriander and saffron dissolved milk again and create 2 or 3 layers similarly.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Garnish with roasted or fried cashews, almonds and raisins along with some chopped mint leaves.
- 2 cups Double Deer basmati rice (Soaked for 30 mins)
- A pinch of saffron
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped cauliflower
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup chopped potato
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp shahi jeera
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 2 black cardamom
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 3-4 cloves
- 1.5 tsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 5-6 tbsp yoghurt
- salt to taste
- ½ cup chopped mint and coriander leaves
- 2 pinches of saffron soaked in ⅔ cup warm milk
- mix of almonds, cashews and raisins roasted or fried in some oil a few mint leaves
Get regular recipes!
Connect with us on Facebook and get the first peek into our lip-smacking recipes!