Like seafood? Like biryani? Well, why not have the best of both worlds? A popular dish down South, especially in the Chettinad region, shrimp biryani is a spicy, pungent taste bud tickler that you need to try. Now.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Wash the rice, soak it in cold water and keep aside.
- Marinate the shrimp with salt and turmeric, and refrigerate.
- Mix the ginger, garlic, coriander and chillies into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, and 1 bay leaf for 2 – 3 minutes. Add onions and half of the ginger paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and salt to the mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Drain the rice and add it to the mixture along with butter and mint. Bring to a boil and bake in an oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the remaining ginger paste and bay leaf for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Top the rice with the shrimp and serve.
- 2 cups Double Deer basmati rice
- 1 pound medium sized shrimps (shells and veins removed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 in ginger stick
- 4 large garlic cloves
- A bunch of coriander
- 2 green chillies
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1.5 in cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon cloves (whole)
- 10 green cardamom pods (whole)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Handful of mint leaves
Get regular recipes!
Connect with us on Facebook and get the first peek into our lip-smacking recipes!