Pepper Tamarind Rice
The delicious and pungent combination of these two standard ingredients with rice creates a concoction that works as a snack, as an accompaniment to vegetable dishes, and as a great way to achieve popularity with your kid’s or spouse’s friends.
- Dry roast the chana dal, urad dal, sesame seeds, fenugreek seeds, black peppercorns and one red chilli. Cool and grind it to a powder.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes, then squeeze the seeds and the fibre to get the juice.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, shallots, curry leaves, a red chilli and garlic.
- Fry till the shallots turn translucent and add the ground powder. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tamarind juice and turmeric powder, and boil.
- Add the jaggery and salt, and allow the gravy to thicken.
- Add the rice and roasted peanuts, and mix well.
- 2 tbsp gingelly oil
- 1 big tamarind
- 3 cups Double Deer basmati rice (cooked)
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup shallots
- 5 garlic cloves (cut lengthwise)
- 2 red chillies
- 5 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
Get regular recipes!
Connect with us on Facebook and get the first peek into our lip-smacking recipes!