This dish is almost omnipresent, eaten all over the country and great on its own or with side dishes - as well as a great way to get stubborn kids to eat some vegetables! Whether you make it for your family, for guests or for a potluck gathering, you’re sure to get compliments.
- Soak Double Deer basmati rice in cold water for 20 minutes and wash.
- Put the rice in a pan with a large pinch of salt, cover with water till ½ in above the surface of the rice, boil and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Turn down the heat, cover the vessel and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour turmeric, lemon juice and saffron water over the rice and sprinkle some fenugreek powder.
- Turn off gas and steam for 5 minutes. After that allow it to cool on a plate.
- Heat half the oil, add garlic, ginger and onion and fry until golden brown. Add cardamoms, cloves, salt and turmeric.
- Add the cheese, coconut and other vegetables separately in the remaining oil. Add ½ the saffron rice, some coriander and mint to the ginger and garlic mixture.
- Now add the fried vegetables and stir.
- Remove the mixture from the gas and keep it in a warm oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle some coriander, mint and cinnamon, and serve.
- 8 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 in stick of ginger (grated)
- 4 medium-sized onions (chopped)
- 6 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tomatoes (chopped)
- 50g paneer
- half a coconut (grated)
- 8-10 green chillies (seeds removed and sliced lengthwise)
- 12 green beans
- 2 potatoes (cut into thin sticks)
- ½ cauliflower (chopped into small pieces)
- A few mint leaves (chopped)
- A few coriander leaves (chopped)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 250g Double Deer Basmati Rice
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chillies (de-seeded and chopped)
- 1-2 red chillies (de-seeded and chopped)
- 1 tsp chana daal
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 pinch of turmeric powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- 10 saffron strands (soaked in 2 tbsp hot water)
- A few coriander leaves
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (dry roasted and powdered)
Get regular recipes!
Connect with us on Facebook and get the first peek into our lip-smacking recipes!